Monday, March 19, 2012

Rest In Peace Peter Bergman of the Firesign Theater

I just learned the news over at THE LIGHTNING BUG'S LAIR

Yesterday, while listening to Penn's Sunday School, a podcast from the very opinionated Penn Gilette, I learned some very tragic news. It seems one of my personal heroes had succumbed to a long battle with leukemia and he was no longer with us. The man I'm talking about is Peter Bergman,  a founding member of The Firesign Theater. If you're of a certain age (read older than me), you might remember Firesign from their series of surreal, award winning albums from the 70s such as Were All Bozos on this Bus, Waiting on the Electrician or Somebody Like Him, Don't Crush that Dwarf Hand Me the Pliers, Dear Friends, and How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All. Each of these albums pioneered a style of improvisational comedy, took stoner humor to an intellectual level, and proved that comedy records could be as relistenable as your favorite rock record...

 

 

Even though I was a kid of the 80's these guys, like Monty Python and SCTV, were a huge influence on my sense of humor. If you've never heard the Firesign Theater's wild kind of comedy you should check their work.

 

Here is some now...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment